Islamabad: Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Health, Zafar Mirza has said that it is not necessary to follow the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO).
In response to a letter by WHO urging Pakistan to impose lockdown, Zafar Mirza said that the recommendation of imposing 14 days lockdown after every two weeks is not under consideration.
“Government has adopted a planned strategy to deal with Coronavirus. We do have an option of lockdown but people are advised to follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for now. It is impossible to defeat Coronavirus without changing attitudes,” he stated.
The special assistant further said that the non-operational sectors will continue to remain closed adding the government knows what is in the best interest of people.
“Coronavirus cases will spike in the coming days. Lockdown may take place if situation deteriorates further,” he said adding that that there is enough capacity in the province’s hospitals to deal with Covid-19 patients.
Earlier on Tuesday, the World Health Organization (WHO), through a letter, urged Pakistan to observe complete lockdown after every two weeks for 14 days, as the country achieves grim milestone of 100,000 Covid-19 cases.
The WHO listed Pakistan among the top ten countries in the world in terms of spike in coronavirus cases and urged country to observe complete lockdown in view of rising coronavirus patients and deaths.
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases surged to 113,702 in Pakistan on Wednesday, while the death toll stands at 2255.
According to National Command and Control Center (NCOC), more than 5,385 cases of coronavirus were reported while 83 people succumbed to the disease in the last 24 hours.
As many as 36,308 patients have recovered from the disease, while the country is still witnessing a consistent rise in the COVID-19 cases.
As per details, 21 percent of the cases have foreign travel history while 79 percent of the cases are reported to be locally transmitted.